If you have ever considered a career in Payroll and Accounting, Anderson College has the top 10 skills employers look for when hiring for this position. If these ring a bell with you, chances are good that you would work well within the Payroll & Accounting sector.
1. You are VERY Responsible – As an Accounting and Payroll administrator, you will be dealing with large sums of money and you need to make sure you can take on the responsibility of handling a lot of money.
2. You have the Right Qualifications – Anderson College’s Accounting & Payroll Diploma program is 44 weeks in length and covers every necessary aspect you will need when working in this career. The fact that it is less than a year means you will be working sooner, but you will have learned everything you need to know within our highly intensive curriculum.
3. You Like Numbers – Let’s face it, not everyone enjoys Mathematics. Some of us excel within English and Writing while others enjoy playing with numbers. If you are a numbers person, this is the job for you!
4. You are willing to WORK YOUR WAY UP – The best way to start in an Accounting & Payroll career is in an entry-level position. Remember, as a novice in this field you have a lot to learn from your experiences. Real job experience is one of the best and fastest ways to learn the most about this field. Take it slow, but aim high. Climb the steps towards success slowly and steadily.
5. You’re Highly Focused – A benefit when job searching is being focused on choosing to work for a government institution or in the private sector. Payroll & Accounting jobs are spread over a wide variety, so chose well and work with determination to achieve your goals.
6. You Value Hard Work – Do not live in the illusion that this is an easy office job. Payroll & Accounting jobs require you to work very hard (sometimes until late hours) to get jobs done.
7. You Know What You Want – Everyone wants to go for bigger companies for the sake of better salary offers, but you should also keep another thing in mind…large companies require you to put in many more hours. Know what kind of company you want to work for based on the time you are willing to commit to your career.
8. You Are Honest – Being honest and unbiased towards everyone at the office is a must for all Accounting & Payroll professionals.
9. You are Friendly but Reserved – You should be friendly with your colleagues from the other departments and yet keep a distance to ensure that you do not appear biased. You will know a lot of inside information such as the salaries of your colleagues and this can sometimes make people feel uncomfortable.
10. Know Your Limitations – Online payroll jobs are becoming more and more popular, but it takes an entrepreneurial spirit to make a job like this work for you. You must have a sound knowledge about Accounting & Payroll before you dive into one of these positions. However, if you are ready for this, you can work from home and still make a lot of money!
For more information about Anderson College and our Payroll & Accounting Diploma program, please visit us online www.andersoncollege.com, or visit one of our campuses. We look forward to guiding you towards the next step in your career!