If you are currently enrolled or considering a diploma program at Anderson College, have a quick read and make the most out of your time with us.
1) GET ORGANIZED – Learning how to prioritize and manage your time efficiently goes a long way… both in the classroom and beyond! There are always going to be a lot of assignments and in-class projects that you will need to balance while you are here. This is a great opportunity to refine your organizational skills so that you shine bright at your placement.
2) BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR SPENDING – It’s easy to overspend on lunches and travel. Whenever possible, pack your own snacks to get through the day and try to organize carpools with some of your peers. Once classes start, you will be a full-time student for quite a few months and want to make sure you have budgeted properly. Learn from the beginning – give yourself a weekly budget and stick to it.
3) MAKE FRIENDS – Learning how to socialize with different personality types is an extremely valuable life skill and Anderson College is the best place to practice! The easiest way to start is to strike up a conversation with students in your class! The fact that they are interested in the same program as you means you have at least one thing in common! Remember, sometimes life puts you in contact with individuals that may challenge you however, the real skill is in learning how to work through differences of opinion!
4) GET TO KNOW YOUR INSTRUCTORS & ADMINISTRATION STAFF – Invest the time in getting to know your Campus Director, Front Desk Administration, Program Counselors and Instructors. Make the most of their knowledge, they are always available to guide and help answer any questions you might have!
5) STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE – Try something new! If you aren’t the one to usually take charge and be a leader, try out this role during a class discussion or project! If you are used to being the outgoing one and doing most of the talking and planning, take a step back and listen more to what your peers have to say. You’ll be surprised at how much you can learn and accomplish simply by taking a small step outside of your normal routine.
6) THINK ABOUT YOUR FUTURE – You’ve taken all the necessary steps to get here. Now is your chance to consider how you are going to bring all of this knowledge with you into the real world and work environments. Take every opportunity that comes up – job fairs, recruitment days – in order to talk to as many people in your industry as possible! Start thinking about your work placement the first day of class. Remember, a great placement will give you the invaluable experience that employers are looking for.
7) VISIT THE LIBRARY – Take advantage of the resources around you for class assignments and other personal interests or hobbies as well. Each Anderson College campus is located near one of our many Ontario Public Libraries* Borrowing is free and each library has an abundance of books available on any subject you are interested in.
8) GET INTO A GOOD EXERCISE ROUTINE – Regular exercise will actually keep you focused and allow you to tackle your study and assignments with more motivation. It is also a great stress reliever! Simply going outside for a 20-minute walk everyday is enough to release endorphins, relieve anxiety and keep your body and mind healthy.
*Ontario Public Libraries within walking distance to Anderson College campuses
Anderson College Hamilton Campus – Hamilton Public Library (Central Location) 55 York Blvd, Hamilton, ON L8N 4E4
Anderson College Mississauga Campus – Mississauga Public Library (Cooksville Branch)
3024 Hurontario St #212, Mississauga, ON L5B 4M4
Anderson College Toronto Campus – North Toronto Library, 40 Orchard View Blvd, Toronto, ON M4R 1B9