1. Become An OPSWA member
OPSWA is an association for all Personal Support Workers which aim to improve the professional status of the Personal Support Workers of Ontario through advocacy for excellence and consistency in training, services, working conditions, and value to those we serve. Becoming a member presents many advantages, especially when looking for employment.
Our Personal Support Worker course is OPSWA supported and all students who enroll will receive a FREE Ontario Personal Support Worker Association (OPSWA) membership for 1 year (upon graduation). The membership includes the following additional benefits:
- 4 OPSWA specific Certificate Workshops (including Dementia & Mental Health and Autism)
- $1 million Professional Liability Insurance attached to each membership
- All other OPSWA Member benefits – Group Car and Home Insurance, Group Medical benefits and discounts on education support/ mentorship
- Unlimited endorsements from OPSWA for job interviews: Available upon request
- Free police check for the first year (Saving of $150)
- Corporate Sponsor networking opportunities
2. Get Hands-On Training
Our Personal Support Worker program focuses on all areas of caring for different clients and/or patients. As you will have to provide those needing assistance with daily personal care, you will receive training for various equipment as well as palliative training. Our classrooms are equipped with a simulated hospital room so you will learn how to change a bed, take care of a bedridden patient and much more. Our course also includes training regarding the safe transfer of patients to a bed or wheelchair safely, as well as checking vitals.
3. Gain Practical Knowledge
Hands-on training is very helpful but having real-life work experience is even better to be fully ready for the job! Our Personal Support Worker course includes a 16-week practicum which will allow you to discover the working environment and put into practice your classroom instructions. This is an essential step to gain more Canadian work experience thanks to training and real-life practical activities. The clinical placement can be conducted at various facilities such as hospitals, home healthcare, Senior Citizen Recreation Centers and many more.